Wednesday, April 25, 2018

It is happening, and Germany is amazing!

Student Teaching in Germany
My first week of student teaching in Werne has been spent at the Anne-Frank Gymnasium and it has been amazing! I have mainly been teaching English because it is the only subject taught in English (obviously). The teachers I have been paired with have been extremely welcoming and have given us the opportunity to jump in at any time we want. They have also given us materials to teach on our own with the students and it has worked wonderfully.

The students at AFG are extremely intelligent and work so well when we give the lessons. It is required for students in Germany to take at least five years of English through their education and it is evident when they speak. Almost all of the high school students are fluent in English. I really wish we did second languages like this in America, because it gives these students the ability to learn other cultures by interacting and communicating with them through their native language.

Host Family
Heike did an amazing job pairing us with our host families! I have a host brother named Marius who is 15 and we are already best friends and practically real brothers! We spend most of our time together when we are not at school. He is fluent in English and we can literally sit around and talk all day about anything and never get bored. My host mom is a vice principal at a nearby elementary school and always helps me with anything I need! They are amazing and I am looking forward to the next few weeks with them!

Community of Werne
The community here is so welcoming and accepting! They love having american student teachers here in Werne and make sure to do whatever they can to make us feel more at home. The location here is so historical and it is mesmerizing to see so much history in such a short amount of time. We have already been given a tour of the old cathedral in town as well as the monk monastery and it's library! I cannot wait to explore more into the surrounding areas and learn more about the history of my placement area!


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Looks like an amazing place. So proud of you and your work there.

    ReplyDelete