Friday, May 4, 2018

Cultural differences




The culture of Germany is a proud community with strong historical roots. Anything we can call “old” in America would not even compare to the history and culture of Europe. After visiting several cathedrals and cities in Germany I have found so much of their culture and history astonish and literally breathtaking st times. To stand in a church that was built 100s of years ago and to witness things happening around you the same way so many people before you did is a a feeling I cannot even out into words.

Culture / Religion at school 
One of the greatest memories I made this week was one that was completely last minute but so worth it. I attended and 11th grade religion class at Anne-Frank Gumnasium and learned more about Germany’s Catholic background and my own religious background. I was somewhat amazed at the fact they were allowed to teach about religion in school since in America is frowned upon and illegal. We talked about the crusades, whether they were successful or not, and what purpose they served. It was so interesting to hear these students sound excited about history and especially the history of their faith and I wish I could experience this class again but at home.

One thing that really stuck with me this week was a saying I heard in my time student teaching in America but that was said again in my religion class at AFG. The saying is, “the same water that softens the potato gardens the egg. It’s about what you’re made of, not the circumstances.” This quote has made me think about the real differences between our cultures, but also the similarities that aren’t always in the surface. This quote also makes me focus on how I let things effect me personally. Having a positive mindset about anything and everything I could do far in Germany has really made me realize how much you will actually miss out on if you let every little thing bother you.

No comments:

Post a Comment